Recent advocacy work to secure my original identity records:
- On July 18, 2016, I finally received a copy of my original birth certificate , after the state of Michigan had refused to give it to me when it had no legal rationale to keep it sealed and hidden from me.
- Read my detailed story on my struggle with the state of Michigan, ending with state vital records officials giving me my original record of birth.
- See a detailed timeline and a copy of my requests to the state for my original record and the state’s responses on this page.
- See my press release that I sent on July 23, 2016, with a link to my original birth record, to Michigan and Pacific Northwest media why this protracted battle of identity records is a major public policy issue of vital interest to those who work to promote equality and fair treatment under the law.
- Review my “key facts” page on my request for what is mine by birthright: my original birth certificate. My goal is to ensure that this victory supports others who suffer from the state’s discriminatory legal practices that deny adoptees equal rights.
- Explore my forensic analysis of email records that shows how state public records officials worked to deny me my birth certificate while expressing a culture of paranoia and confusion how the state’s poorly worded adoption statutes should be handled. I was labeled “the problem” and tagged in their system because I made a request for my original birth record.
Essays on adoption, discrimination against adoptees, and adoption in cinema:
- Detroit’s complex legacy in the National Forence Crittenton Mission (published September 3, 2016)
- Getting what has always been mine–my original birth certificate (published July 29, 2016)
- Dear Michigan, I just want my birth certificate, now! (published March 20, 2016)
- How legalized discrimination against adoptees and birth parents took root in post-war America (published January 15, 2016)
- Jason Bourne, an adoptee’s search story in disguise (published February 26, 2016)
- The Man of Steel, an adult adoptee’s journey of discovery (published December 18, 2015)
- The American Philomena story that is my own (published February 14, 2015)